The Student News Site of South Oldham High School

Fantastic Beasts Fascinate Harry Potter Fanatics

December 14, 2016

A charming prequel to the Harry Potter series, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them recently graced the box office the weekend before Thanksgiving.  Raking in a shocking $74.5 million the opening weekend, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, rated PG-13, was the top-ranking children’s movie in the nation.

Set in New York City decades before the Harry Potter series, the film follows Newt Scamander as he nears the end of his excursion around the world to find and document magic beasts.  Many of these beasts he keeps in his magical briefcase that has more than enough room for these large creatures.

As Newt is arriving in New York, he does not realize the wizarding world is at serious threat of exposure to no-majs (non-wizards or muggles).  A mysterious, dark creature is destroying New York, while the infamous dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald has gone missing.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them received an above average IMDb rating of 7.8/10 and a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 75%.

Once the final Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2, was released in 2011, it left Potter fans in despair after the 10 year long process that millions had grown attached to.  When news of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them surfaced, J.K. Rowling fanatics were overjoyed.

The hype built up over the weeks prior to the release lead to anything but a disappointment when the movie premiered.

Eddie Redmayne perfectly embodies the character of Newt, as both their personalities have many parallels.  The awkward and shy demeanor of Newt, similar to Redmayne’s own personality, makes Newt a very loveable character.  The stage chemistry between Porpentina Goldstein played by Katherine Waterston and Newt is undeniable and the lack of romance within the movie leaves many viewers wanting more.

The beginning of the story is mildly confusing as viewers are thrown into the middle of New York City and are immediately introduced to Newt.  Although it is not towards the end viewers learn anything of Newt’s past of the reason he is in the U.S.

The director of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, David Yates, continued his legacy after he directed the last four movies of the Harry Potter series.  His indistinct directing style doesn’t bring much to the table for the movie, but J.K. Rowling’s writing is creative brilliance and would be easy for any director to work with.  The use of long shots throughout the movie allow the reader to feel as if they are in New York City right alongside the character.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will definitely go down in history right alongside the Harry Potter series as a classic.  For fans of Harry Potter or any fantasy films, this movie is a must see.