The Student News Site of South Oldham High School

The Dragon's Tale

Basketball is back

Maggie Campbell

Shelby McWilliams, Staff Journalist

Fall weather is giving way to freezing temperatures and thus football season is giving way to basketball season. South Oldham High School (SOHS)  sports have had some big accomplishments in recent years. The football team has made it further in postseason play this year than they have since 1992, and they accomplished the most wins in a single season in school history. The basketball team has made it to the state tournament 3 times in 4 years, which they had never accomplished before 2013. The Dragon basketball team now is gearing up for another season.

Last year, the basketball team achieved the most successful season in school history. Not only did they make it to the state tournament, but they were also able to win their first game at Rupp Arena and move on to the Elite Eight- the second round of the KHSAA Basketball State Tournament.

SOHS senior Jo Griffin has been on the varsity basketball team for 3 years now.

“I’m excited, we’re expecting a good season. We are rated preseason #2 in the region,” Griffin said.

The bar has been set rather high after last season’s immense success, but the team is hopeful for another good season.

“Considering last year was the best year in school history, that’s going to be hard to repeat. We won’t be as good as last year but I think we should be able to compete with all the teams we play,” Griffin said.

There were some concerns after losing several seniors last year but Griffin isn’t too worried.

“Losing 5 seniors, [Grant Williams, Trent Bouvet, Jacob Bray, Isaac Fields, and Dylan Snook] 2 being collegiate level players is tough but I think this group will be able to fill their roles,” Griffin said.

Although they did lose some key players, there are some new varsity players this year looking to step up and contribute to the team.

“Peyton Hicks, Luke Morrison, and Jake Vincent are the new players who are going to be stepping into bigger roles this year,” Griffin said.

There are typically lots of students at basketball games and this year should be no different, especially coming after the exciting trips to Rupp Arena last year.

“I got to cheer at Rupp last year and it was really awesome. I’m excited for another basketball season and hopefully another trip to Rupp,” SOHS senior Hope Bednarczyk said.

The next game is Thursday, December 15th against Anderson County High School. Be sure to show up and support your Dragons!