The Dragon's Tale

Senior Sorority

Olivia Veirs, Social Media Team

South Oldham (SOHS) senior girls will next year have the opportunity to join a senior sorority.

Although the name has yet to be decided, the club is set to be active in August of 2018 pending board approval. With most clubs being educationally oriented, co-founder Katie Snider, believes this one will appeal to seniors because uniquely, it will be focused around building lifelong friendships.

This sorority is mirroring Oldham County High School’s (OCHS) organization which is widely popular among OCHS students. Girls in the club will be meeting new people, participating in group service projects, planning senior activities, hosting a Sadie Hawkins dance, and preparing for college. Snider says that being inducted into the club requires a written invitation based on academic merit, social skills, and activeness in the community.

This club will give seniors a taste of a collegiate sorority and better their chances of getting into one. SOHS has never had a senior-sorority but hopes to make this club a popular tradition for the senior-class.

The class of 2019 has 346 students and many have never crossed paths, even being in a generally small school. This club hopes to target all students with the intent to create friends in people who would otherwise have never met.

Many seniors have an overwhelming number of community-service hours left to complete before graduation, so instead of assigning more, the sorority plans on participating in community projects as a group to both help the community and eliminate the hours seniors have been assigned from both National Honor Society (NHS) and BETA clubs.

The sorority also plans to create a community-service project around Christmas time; it further wants to organize senior activities such as a “Senior Sunrise” and “Senior Sundown” for the class to enjoy as their final moments at South.

As the sorority wants to host a Sadie Hawkins dance, it is hoped to be held on Louisville’s CQ Princess Yacht. With the ship’s’ capacity being 110 people, only sorority girls and their dates will be able to attend the dance. Juniors Kylie McDonnell, Olivia Lally, and Helena Cook, all express excitement for the implementation of this club at SOHS.