The Dragon's Tale

Filed under NEWS

SOHS is Bringing Back the Junior Ring Ceremony

SOHS’ Class of 2019 will be having a Turning Ceremony this spring for the first time in several years.

Karen Letendre, SOHS Librarian and Junior Class advisor, says “Someone on the Facebook page, Parents of SOHS, posted about being interested in having a Junior Class Ring Ceremony. Mrs. Free and I [Letendre] decided to have a ceremony.”

Junior Class Ring Ceremonies traditionally happen within the first few months of school for a Junior Class. At these ceremonies, juniors are presented with their class rings for the first time and have a candlelit ceremony that tells them the importance of the class ring. However, South is putting their own twist on the Class Ceremony this year.

“We [Free and Letendre] wanted to have a ceremony, but since the idea came to us so late we are only having the turning ceremony. The students will get the ring before winter break and sometime after the break we will have a turning ceremony,” says Letendre.

Amanda Free, Junior Class Advisor, also adds that SOHS Juniors “can expect to learn about the symbolism behind the class ring and take part in traditions such as ring turning.”

The Junior Ring Ceremony will be held on March 7, 2018, at 6:30 pm in the SOHS Auditorium. All Juniors and families are invited even if they did not buy a class ring.