The Dragon's Tale

Golf has Wrapped Up “Fore” the Season

Molly Bebelaar, Staff Journalist

The boys’ golf team had a season full of ups and downs.

The team is “young and full of promise. There was really good senior leadership from Ben Johnson and Brennan LaBarbera.” boys golf coach, Chris Cunningham said.

Their best finish this season was at the Butler Invitational. The team came in a tie for third, shooting a 322, one shot out of second. The lowest individual score for the boys was a 72 by Brennan LaBarbera (senior). LaBarbera was one shot out of a playoff for first.

Cunningham described the Butler Invitational as a “bittersweet tournament” saying they were “one shot out of walking away with two trophies.”

Sean Stargel (Senior) got to play on the varsity team for the first time this season and really shined in the Annual Oldham Cup. The Oldham Cup is a match against North Oldham and Oldham County. The cup lasts three days and is composed of several matches against individual players. Stargel won his individual match after winning the last five holes of his match. He played against a four-year varsity player on Oldham County’s team.

Looking forward to next year, the team will be returning eight players, four of whom will be seniors, two will be sophomores, and the other two will be freshmen. There will also be a seventh grader joining the team.

Cunningham says the team’s goal for next season is to develop into players who can play “good, consistent golf.” he wants to “develop seniors into leaders and see what the young guys can do.”

The girls’ golf team also had a very successful season. The team had a 10-4 record but got better as the season progressed, winning ten of their last eleven matches.

Juniors, Kyra Isaacson and Molly Moriarty, played very consistent golf and “helped contribute to the team in every match,” stated golf coach, Ethan Moore.

“Freshmen, Rachel Gressick and Hannah Quale, were great additions to the team and show a lot of promise for the years to come,” Moore said.

“Molly Bebelaar (Junior) had a very successful season, qualifying for the state tournament for the third straight year. She finished 12th out of 152 players and showed a lot of room for growth going into next season,” Moore said. Bebelaar was also named to the KHSAA All-State Second Team and was recognized as a First Team Member of the Metro Louisville All-Area Girls Golf Team.

Looking forward to next season, the team will be returning all seven players, five of whom will be seniors.

“That will be really sad to have to say goodbye to them, but I hope they can go out with a bang,” Moore said.

While the golf season has come to a close, both the boys and girls teams show lots of potential and promise for the 2018-19 season.