The Dragon's Tale

New Year, New Teachers!

Lucy Ray and Shaye Snook

A new school year at South Oldham High School (SOHS) has brought opportunities for new teachers. This year, SOHS has five new teachers including Corey  Ahern (Math), Elizabeth Childress (Spanish), Bryan Burns (Social Studies), Stephanie Chalfant (English), and Leokadia Bunmann (Social Studies).

SOHS math teacher, Corey Ahern, recently graduated from the University of Louisville. When asked about his previous experience, Ahern said it included,

“Student teaching, tutoring over the summer, and helping my friends with their math over the years in college/high school.”

He has always had a passion for math  throughout high school and has long aspired to become a teacher.

“I’m super glad I’m at SOHS because I have so many great people who are with me every step of the way and helping me improve drastically every single day,” Ahern said.

Stephanie Chalfant, the new English teacher, was asked why she wanted to become a teacher;

“English chose me and I love watching students make new discoveries every day.”

However, this is not Chalfant’s first year teaching. She previously taught at Locust Grove Elementary for nine years.

“I love the Dragon spirit and I wanted to be a part of an amazing school,” Chalfant said when asked why she came to SOHS to teach.

Leokadia Bumann started teaching Social Studies after she found her love of history. This year will be Bumann’s 7th year of teaching.

“I graduated from SOHS and just wanted to come back to a community that I knew. There are excellent teachers here that I knew I could learn a lot from,” Bumann said.

Elizabeth Childress is in her tenth year of teaching and teaches Spanish I and II at SOHS.

“I became influenced to teach Spanish after my study abroad experience in Granada, Spain! It was a great experience and I would encourage any student no matter if interested in languages to go abroad,” Childress said.

Childress joined SOHS to be a part of the reputation of Oldham County Schools. “I’m excited to teach at a school that has high involvement and support from parents and the community,” said Childress.

Other new teachers include Bryan Burns, who teaches Social Studies and Current Events. If you see any of the new teachers around the halls,  remember to welcome them to SOHS.