The Dragon's Tale

South Field Hockey Wins Apple Tournament

Baileigh Dighton, Staff Journalist

For most high schoolers, the first few weeks of school are about reconnecting with old friends and adjusting to new classes; however, for the South Oldham High School (SOHS)  field hockey team, the first few weeks are spent practicing tirelessly for Sacred Hearts’ famous Apple Tournament (August 18th– August 25th). SOHS made it to the championship last year but sadly ended the tournament as runner-ups. This year, however, the dragons worked long and hard to make it to the championship to beat Atherton High School 3-2, in overtime.  

When asked  about the differences between last year’s participation in the event and this years, starting Varsity captain Avery Periard, says, “The team was more confident with one another’s abilities on the field this year. The teams we faced were also less competitive because of the major improvements we’ve made compared to last year.” The teams most competitive this year were Eastern High School and Atherton High School, both well known as very physical teams.  

When asked about the differences within the team this year versus last year, starting sophomore Abby Periard, stated that,”Our improvements compared to last year is our friendship as a whole. There aren’t any cliques and everyone gets along well with each other. Also, I feel like we improved on trust, knowing that everyone has some game experience in field hockey.” The Lady Dragons went on to beat Seneca High School 11-0, Eastern High School 2-1, St. Francis 6-0, and finally Atherton High School 3-2 in overtime.  

When asked what the atmosphere was like throughout the week of the tournament, starting varsity goalie Amani Sodhi, said, “We were all very excited throughout the week. Each game yielded another game and another challenge, the team was very much prepared.” Avery Periard (senior) went on to win the Wendy Martin MVP award (named after the woman who brought field hockey into Kentucky) alongside a Most Valuable Player (MVP) award. Skye Thompson (junior) and Amani Sodhi (junior) also went on to win Most Valuable Player (MVP) awards. The team hopes to make it to the state tournament this year.