The Student News Site of South Oldham High School

The Dragon's Tale

Neo-Nineties Fashion

Shelby McWilliams, Staff Journalist

Spirit week here at South Oldham High School (SOHS) will often times include a day which is themed “decade day”.  On decade day, students will dress up in stereotypical fashions from the 70’s and 80’s, sporting anything from oversized bell-bottoms to leg warmers and tie-dye.

But what many students may not realize is that decade day isn’t just one day a year, We dress in “decade day” fashion on a regular basis.

Many of the current popular clothing, accessories, and makeup trends are almost identical to what teenagers were wearing in the 90’s.

From scrunchies and chokers to flannels and dark lipstick, the 90’s are back, but some SOHS students were not aware that they were wearing these old trends.

“I  didn’t  know  that  chokers were such a big thing in the 90’s. I just like them,” senior Demi Duncan said.

The  90’s   have  also  inspired  perhaps  one  of  the  most popular fall fashion staples of today: the flannel.

“90’s clothes are gnarly and the feel of flannel Friday is  comforting,” sophomore Matthew Reaves said.

The parents of some SOHS students were in high school in the 90’s and even wore some of the same styles as students today.

“I like most of the 90’s trends coming back. I own a pair of boyfriend jeans and they are the comfiest pair of jeans I have. My mom always makes fun of me because she says everything I pick out now, she wore to high school,” senior Averi Faulk said.

According to the Polished Pearls fashion blog, trends recycle approximately every 20-30 years. This statistic seems to be true as seen by the current clothing trends. Converse shoes, stretch pants and crop tops are all back from decades ago.

The returning trends may have a new edge, like different fit and different colors, but the resemblance to old items are undeniable.

However, not all of the 90’s trends are coming back. Let’s hope we’ve left the mood rings and slap bracelets in the past for good.