The Dragon's Tale

What to Expect from the President-Elect

Chelsea Morgan, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

On the morning of November 9, 2016, dawn broke over a new horizon for America.

After a lengthy race between candidates of a variety of political views and backgrounds, Republican candidate Donald J. Trump has been named President-elect and will be the 45th president of the United States of America. Unlike any president before him, President-elect Trump has never held political office before his candidacy. And unlike his two most notorious opponents, Democrats Senator Bernie Sanders and Secretary Hillary Clinton, President-elect Trump will have the opportunity to live out his promised legacy in the oval office.

Upon announcing his candidacy in June 2016, President-elect Trump proclaimed that America had stopped winning and that he could “Make America Great Again.” The media soon went into an 18 month long Trump-frenzy, covering his plans, ideas, and statements about the economy, immigration, women, and more.

Even after President-elect Trump’s victory, Secretary Clinton and Senator Sanders kept their following for those who believe America is “Stronger Together” and for those who “Feel the Bern”. Although the Republican party has taken the presidency and won majority in the Senate and the House of Representatives, the Democratic party and its leaders plan uphold their ideas and beliefs.

On November 22, 2016, President-elect Trump released plans of his own for his first 100 days through a video message. Within it, he addressed his ideas for American trade, energy, and regulation.

President-elect Trump’s campaign also released his plans in a digital document (signed by the President-elect himself) titled “Donald Trump’s Contract With The American Voter”.
Within this contract, President-elect Trump claims that he will “clean up” the corruption in Washington, D.C., take measures to protect the American worker, and “restore security and the constitutional rule of law.”

Trump is anticipating to stick with several ideals he built his campaign upon, including repealing and replacing the Obamacare Act (Affordable Care Act), restoring community safety and national defense, discouraging American-born companies from fleeing the country, and keeping illegal immigrants out.

President-elect Trump plans to give Americans the “ability to purchase health insurance across state lines” and to allow states to manage Medicaid funds, as well as approve thousands of potentially lifesaving medications.

Trump’s infamous idea of “The Wall” is still standing along with his expectation for Mexico to reimburse America for its construction. In addition to “The Wall”, the President-elect intends to enforce sentences for those who illegally re-enter the United States after deportation and penalties for those who overstay their visa.

President-elect Trump has also made his rounds in a “Thank You” tour to battleground states to which he owes his victory.

Trump kicked off his tour in Cincinnati, Ohio, giving a speech in which he reiterated his campaign ideals and thanked his supporters in Ohio.  To Ohio, Trump said, “We made history- and now, the real work begins.”

Trump made a second stop in Fayetteville, North Carolina, where he announced his nomination for Secretary of Defense, General  James N. Mattis.

The President-elect has previously announced his nominations for most of his cabinet, all of which must be approved by the Senate.

America is also awaiting President-elect Trump’s official nomination as sitting president to fill the vacancy in the Supreme Court.