The Student News Site of South Oldham High School

The Dragon's Tale

“Women just want to have fundamental rights.”

McKenna Mitchell, Editor-In-Chief

“You will never be ignored again,” newly elected President Donald Trump said during his inaugural address on January 20, 2017. His statement rang true as on January 21, 2017, over 5 million around the world marched for the Women’s March on Trump’s first day in office.

The Women’s March was an organized peaceful protest rally in Washington D.C., inspiring sister rallies around capitals in the United States and around the world to “stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families,” according to their mission statement.

According to womensmarch.com, the Women’s March wanted to “send a bold message to our new government on their first day in office, and to the world that women’s rights are human rights.”

Not only did the march advocate for gender equality, but according to their website, “support the advocacy and resistance movements that reflect our multiple and intersecting identities.”

The Women’s March also put an emphasis on having a  nonviolent protest, stated in their guiding principles online, which lead to a successful day of zero arrests made in Washington D.C., according to D.C. Homeland Security Director Christopher Geldart in an interview with thehill.com.

One of the Dragon’s Tale staff journalists, sophomore Reagan Sauve, was able to march in Washington D.C.

Sauve bought tickets to take a bus with her sister and mother on Friday, January 20, from Ashland, Kentucky to Washington D.C.

Sauve could not ignore the impact of this march and knew she wanted to be apart of it.

“I thought how could I miss this? This is a life changing event,” Sauve said.

The event was supposed to be four hours long, but the speeches given by activists and celebrities, including actress America Ferrera, pop icon Madonna, director Michael Moore, and activist Gloria Steinem, stretched the event to five hours.

“People, including myself, were getting really mad [by the fifth hour] because it was super tiring, so we were all yelling, ‘march,’” Sauve said.

While many participated in the march, countless others took to social media to express their opposing opinions of the march. One post was shared by Indiana Sen. Jack E. Sandlin, who shared a photo on Facebook of a ‘meme’ that referred to the women who marched in the rally as “fat women out walking.”

The post was removed from his wall and replaced by a statement explaining that he was “Not sure how that ended up on my Facebook wall but that certainly does not reflect my opinion of women.”

While Sandlin’s opinions on the marches is unclear, some women had opposition to the quality of the marches.

“I’m fine with [the marches] because I agree with the purpose, but typically it ends up being negative or bashing other people’s beliefs, and I don’t agree with that,” SOHS senior Rebecca Young said.

Whether the beliefs of those who marched were positive or negative, the worldwide turnout was strong.
According to the Women’s March website, there were 673 sister marches and around 4,876,700 sister marchers.
Close to home, in Louisville, KY, The Rally To Move Forward was held in front of Louisville’s Metro Hall. This rally was held as a sister rally with the Women’s March.

For those who support the movement, the march does not stop here. 10 actions/100 days is the continuation of Women’s March.

Every 10 days, womensmarch.com will post another action to be completed towards their movement. The first action was to write a letter to your senator. The website gives full instruction and advice on how to complete the action as well as resources to help those who do.

As seen on the Women’s March twitter, the group is coming up with future plans as well.

On February 14, 2017, @womensmarch tweeted a picture that states “General strike: A Day Without A Women. March 8th.”

Along with this are a thread of tweets asking questions about businesses, including questions about gender equity and environmental destruction.

March 8, International Women’s Day, held a strike to watch for these women making another statement, possibly in some more cute pink hats. After all, women just want to have fun.