The Student News Site of South Oldham High School

The Dragon's Tale

• May 16South Oldham Colorguard clinics on 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. on 5/2, 5/11, 5/16, 5/23, 5/25, and 5/30.

• May 16The Ron Brown Scholar Program applications are due May 31, 2017.

• May 16Last day of school June 1st!

Destination Disney

Shae Singer, Staff Journalist

Forget the sideline chants, the “go team go”, and the girls-only club. Cheerleading is no longer recreational. This is competitive cheer. From high flying stunts to powerful jumps, the South Oldham High School (SOHS) cheerleaders tackled their toughest challenge yet.

The SOHS Cheerleading teams competed in the Universal Cheer Association (UCA) National High School Cheerleading Championship (NHSCC) in Orlando, Florida on February 11, 2017 placing second. The Championship is one of the most prestigious competitions in the nation, comprised of  teams from all across the country all competing for the title of National Champions.

This marks only the second time in school history the cheerleaders have attended this competition; however, the cheerleaders are no strangers to big competition and have been anxiously awaiting this moment for years.

“The competition gave me an opportunity to open my potential and express passion with my team,” junior Braydan Daniels said.

The cheerleaders have been preparing since May of 2016 with practices twice a week and have competed in numerous competitions prior to nationals. At practice, the cheerleaders condition, stunt, and tumble together and then divide into their respective teams.

The SOHS cheerleading team competed in two divisions. The green team is made up of 12 members and competed in the Small Varsity All Girl Division. The white team has 19 members and competed in the Small Coed Junior Varsity Division, both coached by Tim Bland.

The white team competed on Saturday night and hit a solid routine, placing second out of eight teams, while  the green team competed in multiple rounds. After advancing out of the preliminary round on Saturday morning, the team competed in semi-finals later that night. Although they did not advance to finals, nothing takes away from the pride in knowing all they had accomplished.

“We were up against around 60 teams and made it to semifinals. We had fun on the mat and that is all that matters,” senior and green team member Kaylie Goodlett said.

Once the competition was complete, both squads got some much needed rest and relaxation. While some cheerleaders opted to spend the day at Disney World, others decided to hang around the pool.

Although the cheerleaders’ competition season has come to a close, they will continue to cheer on the SOHS basketball teams. They are optimistic about what is to come and cannot wait for next season.