The Dragon's Tale

On The Road to State (Star)ring SOHS FCCLA

Photograph submitted

Photograph submitted

Becca Jackson, Staff Journalist

On  Saturday January 28, 2017, twenty students represented South Oldham High School (SOHS) by participating in the Regional STAR (Students Taking Action with Recognition)  Events competition held at Martha Layne Collins High School.

STAR Events are student and community based activities for FCCLA (Family Career and  Community Leaders of America) members that occur every school year. There are 29 different event categories that students choose from and compete against students from other schools. Once each group chooses their category, members will create a project based on a community need that follows the guidelines of their event.

Nine SOHS groups won first place in their event, advancing them to state on March 19-21. All 2017 STAR Events participants are invited to attend the state conference at the Galt House in Downtown Louisville but only first place winners will be eligible to compete at the state level.

One of the winning groups, SOHS freshmen Isel Spears, Ava Lundy, and Madison Blair, competed in the category Chapter Service Project Portfolio. Their STAR Event was titled, “Socks For Soldiers” and they collected 233 pairs of  new or gently used socks  to send to soldiers.

“I’m really excited to go to state,” Spears said.

The three day conference is plenty of time to meet new people from all over the state and form life long friendships and acquaintances.

“I love state because I get to see my friends from other counties that I met through FCCLA,” SOHS sophomore Lucy Ray said.

FCCLA members agree the state conference is more than just a competition- friendships are made and confidence is gained.

“I am very excited for state. The whole STAR Event process- preparing and connecting with everyone- is so great,” SOHS junior Katie Posey said.

Countless hours are spent on the preparation of each project. Some groups memorize speeches to give to the judges and others hold cue-cards to guide them through the presentation.

“Cue cards add organization and make your presentation flow better. They also allow you to get your main point across to the judges without forgetting anything,” SOHS senior Ashley Kauffman said.

Speaking professionally  in front of a small group of people builds confidence that could be useful  outside of high school.

“I’ve learned a lot about presenting in front of judges through FCCLA and I am now comfortable public speaking in front of smaller and larger groups. My presenting skills have definitely improved since freshman year,” SOHS senior Clara Jones said.

Those competing in the state STAR Events conference have a month to prepare. Extra time provides students with the opportunity to make small changes to their displays or presentations. Wish your fellow SOHS students good luck on March 19-21. First and second place winners will advance from state to nationals.

Regional STAR Events    1st Place Winners

Jr- 9th grade, Sr- grades 10-12

• Katie Posey- Interpersonal Communication, Sr
  • Lily Francis- Career Investigation, Sr
  • Trinity Buchanan- Career Investigation, Jr
  • Diana Yang- Job Interview, Sr
  • Madison Blair, Isel Spears and Ava Lundy- Chapter Service Project Portfolio, Jr
  • Lucy Ray- Promote & Publicize FCCLA, Sr
  • Corinne Clark- National Programs in Action, Jr
  • Rachel Durbin and Becca Jackson- Focus on Children, Sr
  • Candice Galvan and Loren Clark- Chapter Service Project Portfolio, Sr