The Student News Site of South Oldham High School

The Dragon's Tale

• May 16South Oldham Colorguard clinics on 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. on 5/2, 5/11, 5/16, 5/23, 5/25, and 5/30.

• May 16The Ron Brown Scholar Program applications are due May 31, 2017.

• May 16Last day of school June 1st!

Ballin’ at South

John Michaud

John Michaud

Lexi Bowlden, Staff Journalist

The South Oldham High School (SOHS) girl’s and boy’s basketball seasons are underway. The teams are  experiencing great success with each having a winning seasons, winning more games than they have lost.

The boy’s team has a current record of 20-3 with their most recent win over Gallatin County High School on Saturday, February 4th with a score of 93-57. The Dragons’ next home game is against Eminence on February 7, 2017.

The Lady Dragons’ current record is 18-6 with their most recent win over Frankfort High School on Saturday, February 4th with a score of 69-47. The Lady Dragons’ next home game is against Walton Verona High School on Friday, February 10, 2017.

Both teams have recently played Oldham County High School (OCHS) and NOHS which are both district games. District games are important because they determine what ranking each team will receive in the district tournament. The boy’s and girl’s basketball teams are both second place in the District 29 regular season standings.

The Lady Dragons are experienced success in their district game against NOHS because they are now second place in the district and will be playing OCHS in the first round of the district tournament.

“When we played North, we anticipated that they would put forth a lot of effort and fight. We [SOHS] played to our full potential and it was another big win for us,” freshman varsity girl’s basketball player Skylar Sahatjian said.

The Dragons have been successful in their district and with their win against NOHS they are second in the district and will be playing NOHS in the first round of the district tournament.

“We expected it [NOHS game] to be a close game. North has really improved and have made steps in the right direction. It was interesting to see how we matched up,” junior, varsity boy basketball player Devin Young said.

The Lady Dragons’ season has been a rollercoaster with both highs and lows.

“One of the amazing things about this season is that we are playing really well together and really becoming a team. We play for each other,” senior varsity girl’s basketball player Sydney Herold said.

The boy’s have had a very successful season with quite a few highlights.

“We started off really well this season with a 13-0 winning streak and winning the Spencer County tournament were some of my favorite parts of the season so far,”  Young said.

As great as all the wins have been, each team has had some troubling times.

“Something that has been pretty difficult is bouncing back from tough losses. We had a really rough time playing against Fern Creek, but the very next day we bounced back and beat Shelby County, and we played really well together,” Sahatjian said.

The boy’s team started out very strong but all teams that go up occasionally come down.

“The toughest part of the season so far was losing 3 straight after winning the first 13. Especially because we felt that we could’ve won those 3 games,” Young said.

Each team is at the peak of their season  and are looking to improve.

“I want our team [Lady Dragons] to continue winning games, but it would also be a great improvement to our team if we would use our bench more,” Herold said.

Each team is looking to improve specific skills as a team so that they can improve for post season.

“Right now we’re focusing on improving our defense and our passing ability,” Young said.

Overall, the basketball seasons for both the Dragons and Lady Dragons are going really well and they are searching to improve. They still have a ways to go but their main goal is to make the needed improvements to go as far as they can in the post season tournament this year.